Literature Circles

What is a Literature Circle?

A literature circle is a small group of students that are reading the same book. Literature circles is like a mini book club.

How does a Literature Circle group work?

Groups meet regularly to discuss the part of the book they have agreed to read up to. Each student has a different role in these discussions and they take turns to share their completed tasks which have been completed in their Lit Circles book. These roles rotate each session. Each session is led by ‘Discussion Director’ who prepares questions to promote comprehension of the text and guides discussion. Every group member must make a short summary about the section they have read and a prediction about will will happen next. This is to be completed as a comment on their group’s page on the grade blog.

Here is an example of a quality comment:

Dear Miss Galtieri,

Here is my summary for the first ten pages of ‘Out of my Mind’. A girl name Melody is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, she is unable to walk and communicate with others, however she is extremely smart. She goes to Spaulding Street Elementary School. She is trying out for the quiz team. I predict that Melody makes the quiz team because she is very intelligent.

From Jack

I would expect that your summary is more detailed than the one above. Don’t forget to explain your reasoning for your prediction.

Showcase

When the group completes their text they prepare a Showcase to present their reading journey to the whole class. In the past, students have celebrated their text creating an advertisement for the book or giving a multimedia presentation on their iPad…the sky is the limit! How will you celebrate the text?

Literature Circle roles Posters

Below are the literature circle role posters – if you need to know more information about what your role involves, this is the link to click on!

Literature Circles Roles Posters

Literature Circle TEMPLATES

Below are templates you can use to help you complete your role – these are a guide only, you don’t have to set out your work like this.

LC Role Template

DISCUSSION DIRECTOR ASSESSMENT RUBRIC

Below is the rubric your Discussion Director will use to assess your work – have a look at the working at and working above area, this is what you are working towards.

Lit Circles Assessment Rubric 2016

6 comments on “Literature CirclesAdd yours →

1. Dear miss galtieri
    For the the week 7 btn task me answers are…………

Libby and I discussed the issues we thought it is a dissavantiges are we might run out of space to build houses and buildings another resen is Australia might go bankrupt so those are our resens.
    I think the world population just reached 77 billion (c.
    Each day the population grows 200,000. In a short amount of time the population grows because every 2 minutes someone has a baby.

2. Dear Miss Galtieri
    Here is my prediction for my book
    My prediction is that Mimi will start to draw amazing things that make her, her and she will take very good care of the pastels.

From Chloe 😉 🙂

3. Dear miss Galtieri
    I looked with my family everywhere in the house to try and find the one and only Ivan book but not that long ago we cleaned out the house and because it did not have a label like a library tag or something like that so we might of accidentally given it away to charity 🙁
    But I’m still not so sure because it dose rig a bell to my bother Tristan and not to my mum or dad
    I’m so so so so so SORRY 🙁

4. Dear Miss Galtieri
    Here is my prediction for what will happen in the book next.
    I think that Jamal and his sister Bibi will find a way to get out of trouble from the angry man that lives on their street. Also I think that later on Bibi will break the rules again and play soccer.
    From Amity