Remembrance Day

Friday 11 November 2016

This year 11 November marks the 98th anniversary of the Armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Each year on this day Australians observe one minute’s silence at 11 am, in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflicts.

BTN LINKS 1

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4568420.htm 2

Look carefully at these two photos.  What do they make you think about? What do you think the people in the story are thinking about? Write a brief diary entry as if you are one of those characters from the drawings.

screen-shot-2016-11-07-at-1-03-28-pm

2 comments on “Remembrance DayAdd yours →

1. Dear Miss Galtieri

Diary of a soldier:

Dear diary

Times are so harsh here. More than harsh. Times are cruel.
    Bombs going off every second and having to lug a huge bag around doesn’t help.
    I then have to sit in the trench and wait for our enemies to come. My friends are dying and want to avenge them. I will get to do so soon.

My feelings:

How I felt

I felt that the world was going up in flames and times would have been harsh. People were dying every second and bombs were falling and exploding from the sky… I would have had to leave everything behind…And everyone.

From Charlotte

2. Dear Miss Galtieri,
    Here is my ‘Diary’.
    20/09/1915
    Dear Diary,
    It has been a bore. I have been sitting here for weeks trying to fix the guns. It is ever so boring and I hope the war ends shortly. I miss my family so much. We have lost about 35 men and 17 women.

13/12/1916
    Dear Diary,
    I have found out how to fix the guns. It is simple I can’t believe I missed it! We are level with the other countries and I think we now have a chance at winning this war!