BtN – Summer Flood

Watch the following BtN story and comment your answers to the question below as a quality comment.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3429411.htm

1. Briefly summarise the BtN story.
2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods?
3. Water always finds the
a. Highest land
b. Lowest land
c. Flattest land
4. How is water channelled away in the city and country?
5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on…
6. What happens when a river bursts its banks?
7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is goingto hit. True or false?
8. Why did officials make the people in the St George are evacuate their homes?
9. What damage can flood water do?
10.Describe the images in the BtN Summer Flood story.
Think about what you have learnt while watching this BtN – if there was a flood in your area, what would you do? What resources would you need? Is the area you live in prone to flooding?

18 comments on “BtN – Summer FloodAdd yours →

1. Dear Miss G,

1.Briefly summarise the BtN story.
    1A. There has been recent floods in Queensland, people will have to now fix their homes.

2A.St. George, Queensland.

3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    3A. I think the answer is B (lowest land)

4A. The way water is channelled away from the city is by drains that lead to rivers and sea.

5A. how much it would cause with damage.

6A. What happens is when

7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is going to hit. True or false?
    7A. I think the answer is True.

8A. The officials made the people evacuate from St. George just in case.

9. What damage can flood water do?
    9A. Damage of flood water can mean you have to rip off carpet and replace walls on your house.

10A. I think it’s devastating seeing those houses destroyed but I was pleased when I saw the men helping to rebuild the homes.

The resources I would use is a source of water and food. No, my area isn’t prone to flooding.

From Brodie

2. Dear Miss. Galtieri,
    Here are my answer to the BtN.
    This BtN was about a flood that has happened in parts of Queensland, and New South Wales. This story was on what happened during the floods and after the floods.After one of the floods some people have succeeded trying to block out the flood. At one point heavy rain hit St. George the rain was about 200 mm of rain!
    The parts that were effected by the flood were Queensland, NSW, and St. George.
    The answer for this question is b. Lowest land.
    Water in the city and country is channeled away by drains in the city, and water creates its own drain in the country.
    The size and shape of rivers depends on how much water flows down there.
    When a river bursts its banks it creates a flood.
    This is a true fact experts can sometimes predict where and when the flood is going to hit.
    The reason the officials made people evacuate their homes was because the flood experts thought that the water would get really close to overflowing the water edges people built. But it didn’t, but they made them evacuate just in case.
    The damage flood water can do is it can go in houses and flood and sometimes make things smell. Also if the water touches the carpet or things like that people have to through them out.
    The images in the BtN story were about how the flood looked, and what happened after the flood, they also looked sad because of what happened after the flood.
    If there was a flood in my area I would make sure all the people I know were safe and, the recourses I would need is I would need things to protect my house and family. The area I live in is not prone to flood because we don’t have lots of rain every season.

From Bella

3. Dear miss G,
    1.Briefly summarise the BtN story.

1A. There has been recent floods in Queensland and New South Wales and people have been trying to fix their homes from water from the flooding. But these floods have been rising metres high and experts have been trying to figure out when and where another flood will happen but people like the government and army are helping other people out to recover from the flood.

2A. Mostly parts of Queensland and New South Wales have been affected by the floods.

3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land

3A. Water always finds the lowest land because it always flows down.

4A. By the drains in the city and leads it to the close rivers.

5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on….

5A. The size and shape of rivers depends on how much water usually flows down there.

6A. It starts flooding and the river starts to overflow and ends up going to people’s house and streets.

7A . This is true because experts can predict when a flood might happen and how high it will reach.

8A. They thought that their was a flood coming and it was going to be bad so they evacuated the place.

9. What damage can flood water do?

9A. The flood water destroyed people’s homes and made people have to turn off power in case of electrical problems.

10A. I don’t think my area is prone to flooding and if there is a flood you need to call the government or insurance.

4. Dear miss Galtieri,
    Answer.1I think that this story is about floods and how to protect floods and where they usually are like there in Queensland.
    Answer2. The parts of Australia that were affected were new south whales and Qeensland.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    Answer 3. The answer is water always finds the lowest land.
    Answer4. In the city the drains help and goes to the river.
    Answer5. How much water flows down there.
    Answer6. When a river bursts its banks a river over fills and floods.
    Answer7. It is true.
    Answer8. They went to camps and even pets had somewhere to go. They had to go because they weren’t safe.
    9. What damage can flood water do?
    Answer9. It can damage houses, roads and cars.
    Answer10. The images look bad because things are destroyed and dirty.

From Natalie

5. 1. Briefly summarise the BtN story. floods and what to do if a flood came’s.
    2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods?nsw and Qenlend
    3. Water always finds them the flattest land.
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    4. How is water channelled away in the city and country? In the city the water go s in the drain and in the country the Waterhouse sto rivers.

6. 1. Briefly summarise the BtN story.
    2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods? the pleases effected were Queensland.
    3. Water always finds the lowest bit of land
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    4. How is water channelled away in the city and country?through the drains
    5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on…rivers
    6. What happens when a river bursts its banks?it floods
    7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is going hit. True or false?true
    8. Why did officials make the people in the St George are evacuate their homes?the homes got all muddy and floors wet and the power broke
    9. What damage can flood water do?it can break houses

From Blake

7. Dear miss G,
    Briefly summarise the BtN story. BTN has told us how floods are made and what damages houses,where it happens.
    St George.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    The answer is B.
    The city uses drains and the country uses nothing.
    How much water flows down there.
    It makes a flood
    True.
    In case of a flood.
    9. What damage can flood water do?
    A flood can destroy carpet and reck walls
    Swim in the flood. Swimming gear and boat. No.

8. Dear Miss Galtieri,
    Here are the answers to the summer flood btn story above.
    Briefly summarise the BtN story. The btn story is about ho floods were formed, what we can do to stop them and the impact that they have on infrastructure and people.
    2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods? Northern Australia has recently been affected by floods.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    4. How is water channelled away in the city and country? The water flows through drains and river beds to the city and country.
    5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on… the amount of water that has rained in the area.
    6. What happens when a river bursts its banks? The water flows out and goes everywhere destroying what is in its path.
    7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is going to hit. True or false? True
    8. Why did officials make the people in the St George are evacuate their homes? If they had been caught in the flood water it could have been dangerous because debris is I the water.
    9. What damage can flood water do? Flood water can soak the walls and carpets in your home so they will have to be replaced.
    10.Describe the images in the BtN Summer Flood story. The images are showing how you can try to stop a flood ruining your home.
    Think about what you have learnt while watching this BtN – if there was a flood in your area, what would you do? What resources would you need? Is the area you live in prone to flooding? If there was a flood in my area I would evacuate my family and call the SES. My house in on a hill so there is a very unlikely chance that there would be a flood.
    Emma

9. Briefly summarise the BtN story. Dear Miss G this is my work from Josh 🙂

The BtN story shows you about floods in Australia,how they work and how you can stop them from destroying your house.

Parts in New South Whales and Queensland have been hit by tragic floods
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land- the water is known to find the lowest land.
    c. Flattest land

The water is channeled away from the city because of the drains and if net there’s a flood

5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on how much water flows down there.

When a river burst it banks that’s when a flood commences

I think it’s true because they will just predict the lowest place or ravine.

St. George was one of the worst hit places in Australia.

9. What damage can flood water do?

Flood water can damage electrical wires, rotting walls and pretty much leave a dirty mess from all the mud carried along with it

They were frightening and depressing that something that bad is possible.

10. Dear miss Galtieri,
    Here are my answers to the Summer Flood Btn.
    Btn – Summer Flood

1 In New South Wales there was a big flood. The btn tells you how it destroyed homes, how they are being repaired and facts about how floods happen.

2. The state New South Wales was the state affected by the floods.

3. Water always finds the lowest land.

4. In the city water is channeled away in drains and in the country it is channeled away in creeks.

5. The sixe and shape of rivers depend on how fast the water flows. Any obstacles in the water can effect the shape as well.

6. When a river bursts it’s banks it is when it can’t hold any more water so the water escapes and floods places.

7. It is true that sometimes by learning more about rivers they can predict when a river is going to burst it’s banks.

8. The officials made the people in St George evacuate their homes because the rive rmight have burst it’s banks so it was unsafe to stay.

9. Flood water can destroy homes or at least damage them. It is very expensive if you aren’t covered by insurance.

10. In the btn flood story the images showed lots of people trying to save their homes and it showed the damage it caused. It also showed people being evacuated and supposedly officials on comuters looking at information about floods.

If there was a flood in my area I would use the pipes shown in the btn and cannel out the water flooding into my home.

The resources I might need are metal/concrete pipes and maybe scrap metal to block gaps under the fence.

The area I live in is not pron eto flooding because I do not live near flowing water and the area I live in is on a hill.

11. Dear miss Galtieri these are my answers….Briefly summarise the BtN story.

1:This btn is about how people can help these floods everywhere stop.
    Lots of houses have been flooded and only a few have been saved. It was a lot of damage done and lots of work like pulling out carpets,walls,vanities and lots of other furniture. This btn story also tells me that floods always find there way on lower land.

The areas that have the most recent and common floods are in NSW and QLD.

3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    Answer:B: lowest land.

It is channelled by going into rivers and moving on and on to other places.

5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on how much water flows down.

7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is going to hit. True or false? True because yo would probably get a few signs.

9. What damage can flood water do?
    Flood water can ruin houses and peoples lives lots of furniture and many more things.

The images on this btn were really sad and I am so glad I live in such a great area where not many bad natural disasters happen.

I’ve learnt from this video that many people in Australia are suffering. If there was a flood in this area then I would stay calm and the recourses I would need is probably just my real treasures. This area is not prone to floods at all because we have lots of hills and we only have a little bit of rain.

12. Dear Mis G

1.the btn story is story is about floods in Queensland and how floods happen.
    2. Queensland was afected in the resent floods.
    3. Water always fines the lowest land
    4. In the city they have guters to get rid of the water and in the contry rivers and streams to chanel the water to the river
    5. The size and shape of the river depens on the omont of water in the river
    6. When river bursts there banks the start a flood
    7. True
    8. Because they thought that the water would over flow the baricades the made
    9.flood waters can destroy homes and make you start from scrach .
    10. The images are mostelty of towns flooded and homes that have bean flooded and people trying to stop the rising flood water
    If there was a flood in my area it would have to be one of the biggest floods in the world because I live on top of a hill but if I didnt I would try to baricad my house and if it flooded I would need a bilder a electition new walls achely I would need a new house.

13. Dear Miss Galtieri,
    Here are my answers to the questions.
    Summer Flood
    From Behind The News

1.Briefly summarise the BtN story.
    There was a flood in Queensland and New South Wales. It was 200 millilitres high! People tried to save their homes. Some succeeded some did not.
    Queensland and New South Wales was affected by recent floods.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land✅
    c. Flattest land
    B
    In the city, water is channelled by drains and in the country, water is channelled by creeks flowing into rivers.
    The size and shape of rivers depends on how much water usually flows down there.
    When a river bursts its banks, the water has nowhere to go, so a flood begins.
    True.
    8. Why did officials make the people in the St George evacuate their homes?
    Officials made the people in the St George evacuate their homes so that they would be safe and protected.
    9. What damage can flood water do?
    Water can do all sorts of damage. It can destruct, it can bring along dirt and mud into houses and ruin them.
    They are wet sad looking and destructive looking.

Emily

14. Dear miss Galtieri,
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    Answer7. It is true.
    Answer8. They went to camps and even pets had somewhere to go.
    9. What damage can flood water do?

From Natalie

15. Dear Miss Galtieri

1.Briefly summarise the BtN story.
    New South Wales had a big flood and it all most destroyed the hole town and lots of houses and other places.
    2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods?The parts of Australia were affected by the floods were Queensland and New South Wales.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    Water always finds the lowest land first.
    Cause the area maybe flat around there so the water can get to the spot.
    5. Complete the following sentence:
    The size and shape of rivers depends on how much.
    Then the water starts moving around and destroying homes and other places.
    It is true
    Just In cast of some problems around the area.
    9. What damage can flood water do?
    It can flood a home which is really bad cause you will have to take the floor off and need more carpet and walls.
    It look like a really bad flood and everyone will need a lot of help with there homes.
    Think about what you have learnt while watching this BtN – if there was a flood in your area, what would you do? What resources would you need? In the area If there was a flood in my area I would try and help other people round us and protect my home.

16. .1 it is kind of like a story of st George’s in Queensland about a recent flood I think some poeple even tried to protect their homes. Also pets had to go to a place to be safe.
    .2 The part of Australia is St George.
    .3 Water always tries to find the lowest.
    .4 The city the water is channeled by drains in country it is natural.
    .5 How mouth water usually flows down there.
    .6 when the river bursts its banks it it floods.
    .7 The answer is true.
    .8 Because it was to dangerous for the people to stay.
    .9 Flood water can completely destroy homes.
    .10 The images look really horrific to see and hear the commentary.

By Samuel
    SC

17. To miss Galtieri Briefly summarise the BtN story. Massive floods have hit NSW and caused it to flood and the water rises horrifically high. Swollen rivers overflow and cause floods going down streets, through fields and even houses.
    2. Which parts of Australia were affected by the recent floods? NSW and Queansland were affected by floods.
    3. Water always finds the
    a. Highest land
    b. Lowest land
    c. Flattest land
    I think the best answer is b.
    4. How is water channelled away in the city and country? In the city there are drains to channel away the water, but in the country, the rain just goes into creeks and rivers and it eventually overflows.
    5. Complete the following sentence: The size and shape of rivers depends on…how much water usually runs through it.
    6. What happens when a river bursts its banks? When a river bursts its banks, it starts to flood.
    7. By understanding how water moves, experts can sometimes predict where and when a flood is going to hit. True or false? I think true.
    8. Why did officials make the people in the St George are evacuate their homes? Because the water was really close to overflowing the concrete barriers that people made to protect their homes.
    9. What damage can flood water do? It can smell pretty bad, so if it gets into your house, you have to rip out all the walls and carpets. It can also make things float, so a car for example, floats down a street and then crashes into a house. It can do a lot of damage.
    10.Describe the images in the BtN Summer Flood story. Whole streets and fields flooded, people’s houses destroyed. Pets having to be taken away until it was safe.
    If there was a flood in my area, I would grab as much dirt and debris as possible and surround my house with it before gathering all the pets and family and evacuating. The resources I would need would be: dirt out of the back garden, wood, bricks,sand bags and a source of food and water.
    No, my area is not prone to flooding.

From Charlotte

18. Dear Ms Galtieri
    These are my answers for Summer flood BtN video.

1.Briefly summarise the BtN story.
    The story is about some floods that happened and what people do if there is a flood.

Queensland and NSW were the effected areas in Australia.

3. Water always finds the lowest land.

In the city water flows into drains to channel the water away and in the country river can work as drains.

The surrounding area can be flooded in result.

True because they can use the information to predict a flood may start and when.

Officials in St George told people to evacuate because they predicted the water to get over the protective wall the set up.

9. What damage can flood water do?
    They can destroy houses and other buildings.

The images in this video make me think of a swamp because the water is carrying mud in it.

From Matthew